So as promised our story took a planned turn as I decided to help out fellow family members while I am off work the last part of this week. I don't say that looking for pats on the back, or a parade. To be honest I think I got off very easy from a "Manny" standpoint. The most difficult part was trying to choose what parts of the adventures to document.
For the sake of clarity, we had 4 main characters today
M= My ginger Mason (8.999ish)
m= My princess Madison (7.75ish)
Truck = my oldest nephew in attendance (3ish)
RC= "Race Car" the youngest nephew in attendance (10 mo-ish)
*Again names were changed (or were they???) to protect the celebrity status*
The day started off just like any other day. The sun was up, the ground wet from evening showers that were much needed for our crops. Mason was the first to awaken, he served himself breakfast, and just waited for the day to begin. Madison arose from her slumber shortly after 8. I had been given strict instructions from her "do NOT wake me up until I tell you, that you can!" Shortly after 8:30 brother Dr. Emrick arrived to drop off his two small lads Truck and RC. My first remark to the good doctor was "Did you pack the whole house?". "Yes, pretty much" he retorted without missing a beat. From there our conversation took an interesting turn. I mentioned that we did not have a gate for the stairs or anything, that our children had long ago learned to climb over it so it was no longer needed... but as an Eagle Scout I would fashion anything I needed to "baby proof" the house using nothing but my wits and items in nature. Upon my proclamation, my brother in law (who happens to be employed as an eye dr) laughed.
I have to admit I was looking forward to the conversations that m and Truck were going to have. RC is more of a strong silent type so I knew the verbal stories would be limited. Straight off the bat Truck and m got on to the topic of how old they were. This dialog ended up with m asking "Do you think you are a man?". Truck looked straight at her and quipped " I am 3!" Which makes me think of the old ball coach (Mike "Mullet" Gundy) saying "I'm a man, I'm 40!" It also helped I was wearing my OSU hat at the time. Which I promise was a coincidence, because RC's diaper bag looked like someone robbed the OU bookstore... ok it had one OU burp rag, but I bet there was more in there, I just didn't want to touch anything else.
Our morning consisted of trampoline fights, watching some Pound Puppies (a personal favorite of mine growing up), Madison reading to Truck while Truck played random animals sounds in the back ground, and chalk art. We snacked on animal crackers, and talked about naps. We finished off the morning as superheros and fighting crime.
For lunch we had a 1 course meal of peanut butter peanut butter sandwiches with a side of Cheetos. During the time M,m, and Truck were eating lunch RC had decided he would like some personal meditation time in another room to reflect on his morning, and recharge his batteries for the events of the afternoon. After lunch m and Truck played princess candy land... needless to say Truck was NOT impressed with the game or m's style of play. They played one game and then Truck politely got up from the table and just walked away. No words were said, he just let his actions speak for him.
After lunch and nap time all of the kids asked if they could go to the park. I thought this would be a good chance to get some of their energy out. As we walked and scooted to the park, we ran into a small mud patch. Truck had too much speed built up to simply stop or slow down, so he barreled through until his scooter had lost all its scoot. M and I pulled the scooter of the the mud and did our best to clean it up... I have had some experience with clearing mud out of a mode of transportation. we finally made it to the park, but little Truck looked at me and said "Uncle Randal, can we not go through the mud on the way back" and I heeded his advice and we found an alternate route. The playground was fairly uneventful, and the trip served its purpose. When we returned home everyone was hot and tired.
Mason and Truck went downstairs for a bit to play Roblox. I know Truck had not earthly clue what M was doing, but I think he just wanted to be around his older hippy looking cousin. Eventually Truck returned upstairs and went out back with m to play in the hammock and on the trampoline. While this was going on RC just stood at the back window intently watching their everymove. Sometimes looking back at me, as to ask "can I go out and play?"
I have to admit you can only watch for so long before you get slightly bored of watching someone push someone else in a hammock. RC turned his attention back to the random smattering of toys strung across the floor. Getting quite fussy at times, I thought i would try something that worked for both M and m when they were that young. I put on The Killers... he was not a fan which surprised me. RC is the first person I have met that could not tolerate them. I did find his secret favorite band.... he LOVES him some Judah and the Lion! I put that on and he started to jam out. At one point I thought he was going to pull out a card board square and bust a move.
So you may be wondering why I would name this entry "A Classic". Well it comes from what I think is one of the funniest comments from the day. All through out the day m would start talking to RC, and in the middle of their one sided conversation she just kept telling him "You are just a classic!". She must have said it 15 times through out the day. "You are just so cute! You are a classic!" I asked her once what she meant by that. She went into a nonsensical explanation that just kept using the word classic in the definition.
I would define today "A Classic Day!"
No comments:
Post a Comment